4. In a 4-to 5-quart slow cooker, combine the potatoes, carrots or parsnips, onion, and fennel.
5. Add meat; sprinkle with rosemary.
6. In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, wine, tomato paste, tapioca, pepper, and garlic.
7. Pour over mixture in cooker.
8. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
9. Just before serving, stir in basil.
2 Pounds Boneless Beef Chuck Roast
Tiny New Potatoes (8 ounces, quartered)
2 Medium Carrots (peeled and cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces)
1 Large Onion (chopped)
1 Medium Fennel Bulb (trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges)
1 Teaspoon Dried Rosemary (crushed)
1 Can Beef