3. Add onions and stir to coat the saucepan with butter.
4. Cover and cook the onion for 8 minutes.
5. Add sugar and cook uncovered until onions are slightly golden.
6. Add flour and cook for 1 minute longer.
7. Stir in broth, water, and wine.
8. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Place 4 bowls on a baking sheet.
10. Put croutons in each of the bowls.
11. Divide the soup amongst each bowl.
12. Top each with a slice of the Swiss cheese.
13. Broil each for 3 minutes or until the Swiss cheese is melted.
14. Place the bowls on serving plates.
15. Serve each with crackers.
Try to use a wine in your recipe that you would drink with your meal so that they compliment each other.
If you don’t have garlic flavored croutons you can totally make your own by toasting bread that you have at home. Take untoasted bread and put butter on it and then sprinkle either garlic powder or even better if you have either minced garlic or a garlic bulb that you can rub all over it then just stick it in the oven. Then you can just press it in the bottom of the bowl. Then there ya go, instant crouton.
1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
4 Large White Onions (thinly sliced)
1 Teaspoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Flour
3 Cans Beef Broth (10.5 oz)
1 Can of Water (10.5 oz)
1/4 Cup Dry Red Wine
1/3 Cup Garlic Flavored Croutons
4 Slices of Swiss Cheese