Soak the vegetables strips in a bowl of ice cubes and water for 1hr to crisp them.
Pat dry with kitchen paper and arrange on a dish the lettuce, tomatoes and mushrooms. Cover with aluminium foil and refrigirate. Arrange the bread sticks on a seperate plate and set aside.
boil the cream in a 2 pint heavy enamelled of stainless steel saucepan and cook it, stirring frequently, for 15 to 20 minutes, untill it has thickened and has reduced to about 3/8 of a pint.
Choose a 2 pint enamelled cast-iron casserole.
Melt the butter in the casserole over a low heat on top of the stove; do not let it brown. Add the anchovies and garlic, then the cream and bring the sauce to simmering point, stirring constantly.
1 peeled cucumber cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 peeled 1/2 inch cut carrots
- 1 sweet red pepper cut in 1/2 inch strips
- 1 green pepper cut into 1/2 inch stips
- 4 sticks of celery cut into 1/2 inch stips
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and cut into 2 inch length
- 1 samll