2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger, allspice, all-purpose flour, dry mustard, buckwheat flour, cornstarch, white sugar, and ground black pepper.
3. In a measuring cup stir together the molasses, oil, vinegar, vanilla, and cold water.
4. In the center of the dry ingredients make a well.
5. Dump the wet ingredients into the well.
6. Mix the batter together until just blended.
7. Pour the batter into an ungreased 8x8 inch baking pan.
8. Bake the mixture in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean which usually takes about 35 minutes.
9. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Cinnamon has many health benefits. It has shown promise in the treatment of diabetes, arthritis, high cholesterol, memory function, and even leukemia and lymphoma.
When selecting ginger, choose very large firm roots with a spicy fragrance and smooth skin. Ginger freezes well so don’t be afraid to buy more than you are going to use just for this recipe. 1 piece of ginger can last for months.
1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Buckwheat Flour
1/2 Cup Cornstarch
3/4 Cup Sugar
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 1/4 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
1/8 Teaspoon Dry Mustard Powder
1 Pinch Ground Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Molasses