1. Stir together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
2. Cream the butter or margarine with the sugars in a large bowl.
3. Beat in the eggs, and then the citrus peels and juices.
4. Stir in the carrots.
5. Beat the flour mixture into the carrot mixture.
6. Stir in the raisins and walnuts.
7. Turn the batter into a greased and floured tube pan.
8. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees) for about 90 minutes, or until it tests done with a toothpick. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Round aluminum pans with straight sides and a dull finish make cakes easier to frost and more professional looking.
Large, fresh eggs are vital to richness and flavor when baking cakes. Eggs are also critical to structure and leavening.
1 Cup Butter (softened)
1 Cup White Sugar
1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Orange Zest
1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
2 Tablespoons Orange Juice
3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
4 Cups Grated Carrots
1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Cups Whole