Home | Recipe | Cake in a Jar recipe | recipesfinder.com
Cake in a Jar recipe | recipesfinder.com
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare the cake according to package instructions.
3. Grease the pint sized canning jars.
4. Put 1 cup of the cake batter in each greased jar.
5. Make sure to keep the rims of the jars clean.
6. Place the jars on a cookie sheet to keep from tipping over while baking.
7. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
8. While they are baking, have your jar lids boiling in a pan of water.
9. When the cake is done, take one jar out at a time and add the hot lid and screw on your jar ring and let set and cool.
10. It will seal as it cools. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to 'ping' as they seal. If you miss the 'ping', wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.
11. After it cools it will pull away from the jar and when you are ready to eat, open and pop out the cake and enjoy.
12. Unsealed jars should be stored in the refrigerator and eaten within 2 weeks.
13. Sealed jars may be stored in a freezer.
Giving this as a gift is fun. It lets you get creative and personal. Cover the top with a square of pretty fabric and hot glue down. Tie a ribbon around the top and put rhinestones on the ribbon. Make up a little pouch that has individual pouches inside of it filled with fun toppings for them to put on their cake once opened.
When I’ve given this as a gift I put in 2 different colors of cake decorating frosting, M&M’s, crushed Butterfinger bars and chopped pecans. They loved it and ate the cake and decorated in a few layers.
1 Package Yellow Cake Mix, (18.25 ounce)
8 Straight-Sided Wide-Mouth Pint Canning Jars, with lids and rings