Chicken rice soup
1. Combine the celery, onions, rice, bouillon, broth and water and bring to a boil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
3. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
5. Slowly add the flour, stirring often, to make a roux.
6. Add 4 cups of milk, 1/2 cup at a time, while constantly stirring.
7. Add this and the chicken to the rice mixture and return the rice mixture to the stovetop over low heat.
8. If the soup seems too thick, add some or all of the remaining 2 cups of milk.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste and allow to simmer for at least an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
If you want an even creamier and more robust flavor, switch the whole milk for heavy cream.
This is a great soup chicken recipe to make after Thanksgiving. Instead of the cooked chicken, use up some of that leftover turkey. It’s delicious!