1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Cream shortening and sugar in mixing bowl. Beat in vanilla.
3. Combine all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Add flour mixture to creamed shortening alternately with milk.
5. Beat in egg whites.
6. Fill paper lined muffin tin cups half full.
7. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
8. Cool 10 minutes before removing from muffin to wire rack.
9. Frost and decorate.
For best tasting results use a pure or natural vanilla extract and avoid imitation.